Monday, June 30, 2014

Moving Along the UFO Trail

Moving Along the UFO Trail

 
You would think Tebow was the one who did all the work today. LOL But it was me who made some headway on UFOs. Maybe he is tired from following me from place to place. You see in my current home I have no sewing room and little space so my sewing machine is on the dining table, Accuquilt on breakfast bar and cutting table is on the front screened porch. Oh, I hand sew and quilt in the recliner in the living room. The end of the month I move to my new home which will have a sewing room. Yippee!
Until then I am a traveling quilter I guess.
 
 
On to what I accomplished today. I made this scrappy baby quilt top last year from fat quarters and scraps then put it aside to make something else. What the something else was I can't remember. Today I added a border and sandwiched it for quilting.
 
 
Sunday I bought backing for this and another baby quilt so I could start making a dent in some UFOs. I ended up not using the backing I bought and used some pale yellow flannel I had instead. It is sandwiched and ready for me to try my first free motion quilting on. Wish me luck. You won't see basting thread or pins because I used some leftover batting I bought that you iron on. It is ok, but starts to let go if you maneuver it much. I add a few pins to the edge to help prevent that. I don't think I will buy it again.

 
Next up is the flag wall hanging I have been working on. As I talked about in previous posts I am gifting this to the Hospice Chaplin who was a blessing to us when my husband was dying.

 
Finished sewing down the binding today and it is ready for washing. I hope to give it to him this week.

 
Doesn't sound like much when I write it down but I also did some laundry today and made some calls where I had to hold after 5 minutes of pushing numbers.  Anyway, I am happy with what I accomplished and plan to start the free motion quilting tomorrow as well as bind another baby quilt that has been waiting for over a year and sandwiching the other baby quilt I bought backing for yesterday. I will be hand quilting the last one.
 
Sound ambitious? Does to me, but I need to stretch myself and quit sitting here feeling useless and lonely without my husband. I also will be packing and moving in a couple weeks so I need to get in some quilting before then.
 
Check back to see if I met my ambitious goal.
 
Blessings,
 
Debbie
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you tired that pooch out. What a cute pose! Good for you getting that baby quilt sandwiched and ready to go. Looking forward to hearing how your free motion adventure turned out! I love that tumbler flag and am happy to see it finished. What a wonderful gift for the Chaplin. How exciting to be moving! Hope you will be writing a post about your new sewing room when you get settled in!

    ReplyDelete