Saturday, June 7, 2014

Test Driving My New Toy

Test Driving My New Toy

I received the mat for my Acuquilt tumbler die this week and my friend Kathi cheered me on to test drive my Acuquilt today. I want to document my first experience so hear goes.
Please excuse the blurry pictures. My good camera broke and all I have is this cheap one. Camera shopping tomorrow.
 
 
 
Acuquilt suggest you cut strips of fabric 1/4 inch wider than the die outline and fan fold up to six layers. I am a fat quarter junky so I was using them in this quilt for the red and blue. The white is yardage so I did cut it into strips.
 

 
First I ironed each fat quarter before cutting.
 
 
 
Then I lined the cut edge up 1/4 inch from far side and top side. The fold was toward me. This was only two layers thick as they instruct you to test the fabric cut two layers first.
 
 
 
Then I placed the mat on top. Note the excess fabric is trailing out the back.
 
 
 
 
 

Then push the whole shebang up against the roller and crank.
 

 
TADA!
 


 
This left a scrap where the fold was so I opened it up, trimmed the scraps and had enough for another tumbler.

 
Little waste with the accuquilt. :)

 
20 minutes later I had 68 tumbler pieces and that included ironing each fat quarter before I cut it.
 





 My opinion of the Acuquilt? "It's the best thing since ice cream." LOL. I will definitely recommend the Acuquilt. It is pricey for the cutting dies but what a time saver. I will be knocking out more quilts now. I have put off making bed size tops for quilts because I hate cutting them and it is hard on my back standing and cutting for hours. My sister sits and cuts but I find that awkward.

I am making a tumbler flag wall hanging with these pieces so check back to see my progress.

Until then, Keep On Quilting.

Debbie,
The Daytona Damsel




2 comments:

  1. I love your fresh clean look of your blog these days! Love that accuquilt and so happy you shared it out loud! I love the fabrics you have used... fat quarters will make a great flag quilt! Have fun playing and cutting! Then on to sewing it up :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yippee! I am so happy for you, Deborah! This is going to make a fabulous patriotic wall hanging. Great things are happening here!!!!

    ReplyDelete