Monday, October 20, 2014

Slow Stitching

Slow Stitching

 
 
 
I am a little late with my Sunday slow stitching post, mostly because I have been feeling down all weekend and procrastinating.
Above is the lap quilt I made at my first quilting class. I originally wanted to hand quilt it but Quilt shops never have someone who teaches hand quilting so I ended up machine quilting.
 
I put off binding it for six months because I didn't like the quilting. I finally decided to add more quilting and bound it. Still not what I wanted. Now that I have done some had quilting and big stitch quilting I decided to big stitch quilt it. All last week I removed the machine quilting. UGH! Friday I began hand quilting. :)
 
 
Thursday I decided to make this Fall table runner. I had cut the materials out last month but got side tracked. Well the quilting gods were against me that day. First I ran out of bobbin thread six inches before completing the quilting. Of course that was the last back up bobbin so I had to wound more and take out that partial line of quilting. By then it was past lunch and I was hungry but determined to at least get the quilting done and binding attached so I could relax after lunch and hand stitch the binding down. Not happening. Just as I noticed the foot of the machine was loose, it fell off and the needle hit it and broke. ERRRRRRRRRRR.
So I spent 10 minutes looking for the needles I had bought before moving. Finally found them and proceeded to change out the needle. Not happening. The needle would go crooked when tightening or be to far up in the shaft. I struggled for an hour determined to finish that table runner. By now I am starving and ready to toss my machine in the dumpster. So I gave up, go buy junk food to sooth my frustration and watch TV for a few hours.
 
By 7 PM I am determined again. At least, I think, I can get the binding on and sew it down tomorrow. I found the book to my machine the first place I looked. Yea! Read how to put the needle in "correctly" and was off sewing on the binding. 3/4 done and realize I missed trimming one side of the runner.
Ok quilting gods, I surrender.
 
Friday morning dawns. Ok ripping seams begins, trim and reattach the binding. The quilting gods are smiling. Not!
 
Can't find the brown thread to sew down the binding. After several attempts to locate I give up. So, the runner hangs on the back of a chair in the dining room waiting for me to make another trip to Joann's or find the brown thread, whichever comes first.
 
 
The reason I am still looking for things and sewing in the dining room is my son had a busy week and had to work this weekend, so my sewing room floor is on hold. He is suppose to finish it this Tuesday if all goes well. 
 
Sorry for the lengthy post but sometimes you have just have to vent.
 
Thanks for reading my blog. I look forward to your comments.
 
Debbie
 


 



No comments:

Post a Comment