Saturday, January 3, 2015

Quilting As I Go

Ever since Jera over at Quilting In The Rain published her book Quilt As You Go Made Modern I have wanted to buy the book. Amazon ran out almost immediately. Jera was hosting a quilt along and I wanted to follow along but after 3 weeks and the books were still on back order I decided to try to figure it out on my own by the pictures others, who had the book, were posting. I had some left over Autumn scraps so decided to try it with scraps and make a table runner.

 
Not to bad. A friend wanted to buy the table runner immediately. Problem is, without the book I couldn't figure out the joining of the blocks without sashing (the old way of joining and why I never tried this before). Thanksgiving came and went so I packed them away. The book was still on back order. :(
 
The Monday before Christmas the book was in! But I wanted it now. So I called Books A Million, "I can order it for you." Barnes and Nobles, "I can order it for you." Grrrrrrr.
 
I finally came to my senses and called my local Quilt Shop. They had one and would hold it for me. Yeah!!!
 
After I read the book I started on the first quilt in the book. I was hoping the Jelly Roll I had would be enough for a lap quilt.
 
 
Of course it was not. OK time to go through the stash.
 
I found 3 fat quarters that matched the colors fairly well but that was not enough. Off I went to JoAnn's. This Jelly Roll must have been a few years old because I could not find any green that would match. I found a solid blue and a print in the blue, a print in the brown and a solid brown. I bought extra of the solid brown to use as a border if these didn't work.
 
Original on left, New on right.
 
What do you think?
 
Here is a broader view of them laid out.
 
 
Looking at the picture I see some blocks turned the wrong way.
 
Still think I will add the border to frame the block layout. Then I add the backing and bind. Hopefully this will be finished for Finish It Up Friday next week.
 
 
I hope to have Lady duck hand quilted by then as well. She kinda got put aside for awhile.
 
Have you tried something new recently?
I would love to hear about it.
 
Thanks for visiting,
 
Debbie
 

4 comments:

  1. So pretty.

    I just bought some plain white fabric today to make a quilt with lots of colorful patches.

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lots of color. Can't wait to see your finished quilt or even while in progress.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I think the new fabrics work extremely well with the existing. I'm looking forward to seeing how you finish this up. So interesting. I bought a Bee My Honey jelly roll after Christmas for a quilt, and some fat quarters in a pretty light blue and gray that I'm not sure what I'll do with. I'm still working on two scrap quilts. Have fun, Debbie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the input. Now all I have to do is get the layout down and I can finish. I got called for jury duty selection today so I am not sure if I will get to it this week. Have a blessed week.

    ReplyDelete