Monday, February 23, 2015

Blue Skies and Warm Weather Quilting



The weather has turned warmer and the skies are blue, I love living in Florida. The past week had been cold, for Florida, with a couple of nights in the low 30s so I have been on a quilt hibernation.

First off, my Mr. Cottontail and Lady Duck:

Aren't they cute? Lady Duck is my favorite. She will hang above my breakfast table in the kitchen. Mr. Cottontail will probably go on Ebay. These are hand quilted.

Next up, # 2 in the Quilt As You Go Made Modern book.


 
I was making this one for my son but when he saw it he said it was to Key West and he wanted brown and tan, yuk. It will probably be awhile on that one as I struggle making quilts with dull colors.
 
I like to have a hand quilting project going at the same time as a machine project so I dug out a UFO.
 
 
This is a baby quilt top I made over a year ago. I managed to get it basted and ready to go but then could not for the life of me find my water erase markers or stencils. I have been organizing my home and de-cluttering. I looked everywhere, even in the most unlikely places. After a week the markers turned up in my pen holder but still no stencils.
 
Two days later these showed up but not the flower one.

 
Oh well, better than nothing.
 
Next I am making a pattern called Cathedral by Villa Rosa with this beautiful Maison Blue fabric line. I am about half way done with the cutting. It is not a QAG but I am going to try and adapt it. It is so much easier to QAG, and faster too.
 
I also have a quilt top for my mother I will be starting on, as soon as the batting comes in. She wants polyester batting and I only use cotton so that is all I had in my stash. Living in Daytona in February you do not go near the race track. JoAnn's is just past the track (and it was cold outside) so I ordered online thinking I would get it before I could go to JoAnn's myself. I was wrong. Yesterday, Sunday was the 500 and still no batting. Well it is not as if I have nothing else to quilt so I will wait.
 
How are you dealing with the winter weather? Are you Quilt hibernating?
 
Debbie

 
 


8 comments:

  1. Debbie,
    I just found your blog recently and would like it to come up in my feed each time you post. Would you put a little box off to the side like some bloggers do? That way I put in my email and know each time you post. Thanks ahead of time if you decide to do this. Rita teach4life1@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rita, I will try to figure out how to put that on my blog. I am not to tech savy but sure I can figure it out. Thanks for visiting. Debbie

      Delete
  2. Your son mightn't be into it, but I reckon your quilt as you go quilt is lovely and such beautiful blues. He's crazy not to love it! Sending you some summer warmth from Australia, Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Jen. I love bright beach colors. My son's house is all brown and beige. I told him it is blah. LOL Thanks for the summer warmth and for visiting. Hope you visit again.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your rabbit and ducky quilts are both so lovely, Debbie. The gingham borders were a perfect addition! Yes, I am more than ready for winter to be over. It's been a lot colder than what is normal around here this year. Brrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lorna, it has been colder for Florida too. I complain about the cold and wish for Spring then in July I complain about the heat and wish for Autumn. LOL Maybe we could skip Winter and Summer. Thanks for visiting. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, yes, Debbie, I totally understand about not wanting to quilt with dull colors. It's the beautiful colors that make quilting enjoyable for me. You'll have to find a pattern that you can do really F-A-S-T for your son's quilt. Haha. I hope you're having fun with your projects. Your handiwork is really beautiful. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe, thanks for the compliment Nancy. I am enjoying my projects while watching a series about Mary Queen of Scots on Netflix. They sure took a lot of creative liberties but I am enjoying it. Thanks for visiting.

    ReplyDelete