Monday, June 1, 2015


I decided to go with the butterflies appliqued onto my mom's quilt to cover those bad places. 

I am using the method shown on a video by Missouri Star Company.  Some I machine sewed, then others were Hand stitched.

I then ironed them to the quilt in a random order as if they were flying across the quilt. 

I have never appliqued before but so far this is a pretty easy way. Of course I have to sew them down. I will try hand stitching them but may end up machine stitching if I can't get them to look right. Wish me luck. 

I haven't had much time this past weekend to work on my Cathedral quilt and probably won't this week either since I hope to finish the applique work by week' end. 

Enjoy your week.



  1. Those sweet butterflies are a perfect solution for those troublesome spots you found in that top, Debbie. And they add interest to this pretty quilt, too!

    1. Thanks Lorna. I am happy to have come up with a solution because my mom really liked this fabric.

  2. This is a great idea to fix the rips / tears. In the quilt that I am currently quilting I found a seam coming loose and decided to repair that and put a small flower over it or something : )

  3. Happy I could spark your creativity. Thanks for stopng by for a visit.

  4. I did the same thing with my son's quilt! My mom had made the top 20+ years ago and parts of it were coming apart. It was a nautical theme and so I appliqués fish, boats and whales!

  5. Kate, that sounds so cute. I would like to see it. Thanks for stopping by my blog.