Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Gifts and Things

I haven't done a lot of quilting these last two weeks. 
Last week my brother and his wife were visiting and this week my sister and niece are visiting. 
I also am taking my mother to daily radiation treatment and trying to read four books in preparation for some classes in August. More on the classes later. 


I received this beautiful prayer shawl from a website I follow for Christian Widows. 


It was made by African widows. They wove the fabric and stitched it together. There is a mission that teaches widows in third world countries skills to make money to live on. 

I will be attending a Spiritual Academy every three months for the next two years (the reason for reading the books) and the shawl will be perfect since I am in Florida and not used to mountain weather. 


In the mail with the shawl was this charm pack of Michael Miller fabric called Retro Florals.  Makes me want to snap my gum and jitterbug. Along with the Charm Pack was this binding tool. 


My Etsy Shop stock was getting pretty low so I made a few baby burp clothes. I just love this sweet kittens. 



Wish someone would have thought of these when I had babies. 
I had a lot of child print flannel (I had a bright idea to make pjs for my grand childen years ago. They are now in college.) I thought this would be a good way to use it up. 

I originally was going to make a 10 minute baby blanket with the flannel. HA! After 30 minutes of trying to cut the fabric 40 inches square and actually cutting it 20 X 40 inches (3 times) I gave up and made burp clothes. 
When life gives you lemons, make lemonade. ;)

My messy dining table that I use as a cutting table. 

Last night I had a few minutes so I tried again to cut that 40 inch square and succeeded. :o

The next two days are busy with trips to the airport and taking mom to rad treatments but I hope to get some quilting in over the holiday weekend. 

How are you spending your holiday? 

Debbie

I love hearing from you and reading your comments. 

Sharing at Sew Fresh Quilts Link up.


9 comments:

  1. No holiday here in the UK this week! I used to have family that lived in Ormond Beach (they're back in the UK now) - and visited Daytona a couple of times, you're lucky to live in such a special place (I thought the wildlife was incredible). Your shawl is wonderful, such a lovely texture. Have fun with your family and best wishes for your mother's treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Stephie. I have always wanted to visit UK myself. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think my hol will be similar..time with mom in the hospital and some quilting / sewing. We had a big family get together ( DIL's side ) last weekend...a surprise party picnic for her grandma's birthday and so no one is doing anything special this weekend aside from maybe going to the parade if it doesn't rain and just visiting around...
    And I am so hoping for no rain to play catch up in the yard :
    You have such nice projects going on here! :) Very busy since my last visit only a few days ago...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your mom is feeling better. We need rain here. June is usually our rainy season but not this year. I planted some new plants in my front bed a couple weeks ago and have watering twice a day to keep them alive. Thanks for stopping by.
      Debbie

      Delete
  4. I think my hol will be similar..time with mom in the hospital and some quilting / sewing. We had a big family get together ( DIL's side ) last weekend...a surprise party picnic for her grandma's birthday and so no one is doing anything special this weekend aside from maybe going to the parade if it doesn't rain and just visiting around...
    And I am so hoping for no rain to play catch up in the yard :
    You have such nice projects going on here! :) Very busy since my last visit only a few days ago...:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely shawl, Debbie! Such beautiful woven work. Love your new burp cloths. Those are some really sweet flannels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lorna I was so excited to get the shawl. Just visited your blog. The quilt finished up great. Love the happy colors. Debbie

      Delete
  6. That shawl is gorgeous! The burp cloths are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That shawl is gorgeous! The burp cloths are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete