Thursday, August 13, 2015

God's Country

Back from Camp Sumatanga in Gallant, Alabama. What a beautiful place to rest and heal. 


View outside my room door. 

Another view from my front door.

My room was large and well equipped with a small kitchen at the end of the hall stocked with makings for coffee and tea. There are two entrances, one from outside and one in the hall.

The main gathering area and dining room had a few quilts displayed on the walls. I kept forgetting to bring my camera to take pictures of them. 


The cross outside the main entrance was designed by and constructed by a person who stayed at the retreat center in the past. There are smaller ones sitting around the retreat center.


Down the road a little way is this pretty lake. They even have a rack of fishing poles available. 


Across the way is a rack of canoes for use. 

There is a whole lot more to see including a pool, lodge, chapel and even a mountain to climb. At the top of the mountain is a cross and small building. When I return in October they will take us on a picnic on top of the mountain or we can climb. I personally will take the ride. :)


I did take my Quilt As You Go hand quilting along which I worked on during our times of silence but I haven't done any piecing or machine quilting since returning home. Hopefully I will have some progress to share next week. 

If you would like to spend a vacation at Camp Sumatanga visit http://www.sumatanga.org/main-lodge.html

Blessings, Debbie

10 comments:

  1. Looks like your retreat was just what the "doctor" ordered! Looks so peaceful !! Thanks for sharing :) Kathi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Debbie, what a lovely, serene place. I can imagine walks along the lake, and taking a canoe ride would be heaven for me. I'm so glad you had this time to reflect and refresh. Your quilting is amazing, my friend. Just beautiful. Can't wait to see more of what you're working on. xo ~ Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nancy. I am looking forward to my October trip there when it will be cooler and better for walking the trails. This hand quilting project is taking awhile but very relaxing when I need to relax. Debbie

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thanks Deb it was very restful and healing. Can't wait to return in October to see the leaves change.

      Delete
  4. I think of you often; glad you could go to this retreat for some restoration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks like a beautiful place, Debbie. Hope you enjoyed your time away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, my goodness!

    I am in love with that quilting pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like it too. It is a stencil I picked up at a little quilt shop along a back road in Ohio outside Amish country. Thanks for stopping by. Debbie

    ReplyDelete