Sunday, January 24, 2016

Resolutions, Goals, Etc.


When I was younger and not so young I created resolutions every year and every year I worked those resolutions for about a month and gave up. 

Image result for new year's resolutions pictures free

I went a few years without even thinking about resolutions because my husband was in treatment for cancer and things were so uncertain. Those years were followed by grief and numbness, not really caring about anything. 

I am slowly coming out of the fog and so I gave myself a kick in the rear and decided to not set resolutions, but goals. 



new years resolution: 2016 goals - New Year resolution concept - isolated text in vintage letterpress wood type printing blocks on a laptop screen with a cup of coffee

I remember from my days of being employed that in order to be successful at reaching your goals you must break that big goal down to smaller activities and spread them out. In other words, make to do list.

Image result for new year's resolutions pictures free

So I spent one day just breaking down the steps, figuring time needed, etc. Then I started working the plan the following week. 

All went well for a few days and then I started getting behind just a little. I caught up on Saturday, I had planned Saturday as a catch up day, and all was well. The following week I had scheduled lunch with a friend and a visit to another friend so Sunday I started working ahead. Everything was going smoothly, I was still ahead of schedule, when boom! the Humane Society called and said Tebow's ashes were ready to be picked up. Back came the depression and fog. Out came the ice cream.....

Image result for new year's resolutions pictures free

Here I sit with nothing accomplished on my list since the first week I started working towards my goals. I am feeling hopeless and discouraged. Will I be able to get back to my goals? Revise those goals?  Or just toss them out all together? 

I did learn something these last few weeks though, Goals is just another word for Resolutions and I am as good at keeping goals as I am at keeping resolutions. 

I am going for a walk and forgetting the whole thing. Maybe the sunshine and cold wind will blow away the fog.



Debbie
Please visit my Etsy shop to see all my latest creations 
@ daytonadamsel.etsy.com

I love reading your comments and respond to each one. Thanks for stopping by.



8 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry! One of the goals is to give yourself some leeway on them.
    Do you really need daily goals? How about monthly ones? Then you can have some off days and still have time to reach a goal just fine. Life trumps goals about life every time! Hug yourself and grieve.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice. I think I was to ambitious with my goals too, so I am going to take some time and pare them way down for February. I am also going to make a monthly goal as well instead as you suggested. Thanks for stopping by. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even if it is two steps forward and one back, it's still progress and I hope that the ice cream was a good one, oozing with chocolate or caramel :)

    Grieving can't be put aside / you have to honor your heart too. I think that we are often our worst enemies / probably harder on ourselves than anyone ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Even if it is two steps forward and one back, it's still progress and I hope that the ice cream was a good one, oozing with chocolate or caramel :)

    Grieving can't be put aside / you have to honor your heart too. I think that we are often our worst enemies / probably harder on ourselves than anyone ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't be so hard on yourself Debbie. I've never been good at keeping resolutions and, the older I get the more I realize that I was putting unnecessary pressure on myself. Life is too short for that so I don't worry about it anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kristi's advice is excellent. I think goals are over-rated. I do have things I'd like to accomplish in a day, but if my husband breaks into my plans and suggests a drive in the country, or lunch somewhere. . .I'm going! I will not be a slave to my calendar. Be kind to yourself, Debbie. Give yourself permission to have just fun, and play. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  7. well, a goal is just that. Working toward something. There's always tomorrow! Grief is exhausting too. You and I might be wanting to do more than is possible... even the fun stuff piles up. A walk, quiet, less achievement might be as valuable. The goals will always be there waiting... thanks for the post and visiting my blog too. Hugs, LeeAnna

    ReplyDelete
  8. Success is not measured by how many things you have accomplished on your to do list. It is the courage to get going when you encounter failure every now and then. Set priorities and always remember, you are as important as anyone else. There is no story to tell when everything goes well.

    ReplyDelete