Wednesday, March 16, 2016

Quilt Shows and Lessons

Wow, I can't believe I haven't blogged in over a month. Yes I have been busy with company, my sister Rita, for a month and other new projects 

A few Toilet Tank Toppers and 


mug rugs.

I am most excited about finally getting to a quilt show. 

My Quilt Guild, Racing Fingers Quilt Guild, provided volunteers for the AQS Daytona Beach show. I volunteered two days, one to check in students for classes and one to work our charity booth making "fidget quilts". I forgot my camera that day so I do not have a picture of a fidget quilt to show you. I will try to remember my camera for the next guild meeting and take a picture. 

There were so many beautiful quilts to see. My all time favorites were the Japanese quilts. They were absolutely gorgeous! My pictures do not do them justice but here are two of my favorites:

I was truly humbled by the skill of these artist quilters.

I am always trying to learn new skills. My husband told me I could be a professional student and love it. He was right. Unfortunately it pays nothing and cost a lot so I stick with the online classes and friends teaching me. My latest skill is Free Motion Quilting. 


I have tried to learn this skill for two years through books and Youtube. It was a total and frustrating failure. I was in luck though because I ran into one of the instructors at my local quilt shop at AQS Daytona Beach and asked about a free motion class. She told me she was offering one on March 11, score! It was a small class and I finally learned what I was doing wrong. Thanks Jan! Now All I have to do is practice. My hearts are a little wonky and lumpy but I think with practice they will be fine. 

When I look back at my Last 30 days I see how active I was, thanks to my sister. Rita kept be moving and laughing. As a result I no longer struggle with going to sleep, I have ditched the sleeping pills, and I have more energy. 

How about you, do you get into slumps? How do you get out of them?

Debbie

As always you can find my creations at daytonadamsel.etsy.com

Thanks for stopping by. I love reading your comments and try to respond to them all, 


7 comments:

  1. I was at the quilt show, too! It was wonderful to be so inspired with all the color, work and creativity! Glad the visit was wonderful on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm actually in a bit of a slump today. Sunshine has helped a bit. I think a full night's sleep will do wonders. You've been terrifically productive. I haven't made a mug rug yet, but it looks fun. Hope your quilting continues to improve.
    Blessings to you from Harvest Lane Cottage!
    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad I took a class for free-motion. I don't think I could have done it with books and videos. And your 1st attempt is good - 2nd is better. I think good enough to be on a quilt. You go girl! As for the slump - Sleep, eat right and talk to fun people (or do something fun.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Japanese quilts look like paintings, especially that first one. We have a wonderful quilt shop in the county that offers all kinds of lessons. I took a free-motion quilting class a couple of years ago and absolutely loved it. Youtube is good, but there's nothing quite like hands on with a teacher. I'm so glad you had a good month with your sis. When I get into a slump prayer and a change of scenery does the trick. It doesn't have to be a big change of scenery, just a drive in the country to see the fields and mountains beyond. Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds as if your sister was good medicine! The Japanese quilts are just gorgeous and congrats on your skillbuilding in regards to FMQ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds as if your sister was good medicine! The Japanese quilts are just gorgeous and congrats on your skillbuilding in regards to FMQ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you had a great month and that your sister's visit was just what you needed. Good for you! I don't know much about quilting but they look beautiful, as does your free motion quilting. Hope that you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete