Wednesday, March 23, 2016

UFOs

I have a lot of UFOs. Some are in a big plastic bin, some are on the closet shelves and some are floating around my house. Every time I straiten my quilt room I tell myself I am not going to start anything else until they are done, but then I get on the computer and see new possibilities and forget about my determination to work on those dang UFOs. Finally in February I was determined to finish a rag quilt I had started last year. All I had to do was sew the blocks together and wash, how hard could that be. 


I quickly sewd the blocks together and the rows together. I was so proud to finally get a UFO done. But, when I cheked the back there were little tags sticking out of the seams. UGH. I was so frustrated I put it back in the closet and gave up on UFOs. 


This past weekend I decided I would go back to this UFO. After ripping out all the seams and resewing it was finally done. Yeah!
NOT!

I forgot the color catcher when I washed it and the red faded onto the blues. :( Especially the fringe. So back in the wash it went with a color catcher.


Still didn't work. My stars and planets are now pink and so is the fringe. I sure can't sell it in my shop so I hope I meet someone with a little boy who doesn't mind pink spots on his blanket to give it to.


 For the rest of the week I just ade up some quick scrap projects like the candle mat above and ....

Snack mats for kids.

I also learned a new skill Monday night at my quilt guild, needle turn applique. 


I am struggling with the points but I never thought I could do this so I am thrilled and can't wait to design my own appliques.

Excuse the blood under my nail. I put a new blade in my cutter and proceeded to cut my finger. 

Look at the size of the needle she gave us to use. Do you needle turn applique? What size needle do you use?

Guess I better get back to quilting. Those UFOs are calling my name. 

Debbie

5 comments:

  1. Real bummer about the color bleeding; it happens but it sure is maddening!
    I used to do the needle turning-it is tedious and out of the question now but I can admire the work, that's for sure! Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awful when fabric bleeds like that :( Meanwhile your applique lookds great! :)
    I use the freezer paper / starch method and believe it or not, my itsy quilting needles!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is awful when fabric bleeds like that :( Meanwhile your applique lookds great! :)
    I use the freezer paper / starch method and believe it or not, my itsy quilting needles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. God bless your heart, Debbie. Having color bleed like that is so frustrating. It just happened to me with a rug I made. The first time I washed it was no problem. The second time the red bled on the tan. Ugh. I haven't tried applique. Maybe some day when I have lots of patience. :) Hugs, Nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I surprisingly found it very relaxing. Of course I find hand quilting relaxing too. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete